Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vote Against Apathy: A Manifesto of Sorts



 For years we've heard from the media that young people don't vote.  And why would we, in this kind of atmosphere?  From every corner we get the message that our voices don't count.  Whenever the media talks about young people, it talks about our apathy rather than our opinions.  Most of the political parties don't even talk about issues important to young people.  And I know personally, that every time I've cast a ballot, my candidate hasn't won.  So why do I keep on voting?  Because it's important that I make my government listen to my voice.  We're emerging from an economic crisis where young workers were the hardest hit.  I bet you have an opinion on that.  This is a historic election--the first time a government has been taken down for contempt of parliament--you probably have an opinion on that too.  So think about it, learn about the issues, talk about it with people.  Go to candidates debates in your riding, or get in touch with the candidates and ask them what they can do that matters to you.  Most importantly, vote.  If we can make our voices heard, the politicians will listen to us.  So fight against the apathy label.  Let's make this the election where young people take back our power.  

Vote against apathy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment